Thursday, May 22, 2014

Persuasion (1995)

Anne Elliot is persuaded to break off her engagement to Fredrick Wentworth because it is felt that it was not a suitable match and far beneath her.  Several years have past and the Elliot's financial situation leaves them with the decision to rent out their estate to Admiral Croft who is also acquainted with Captain Wentworth who has since become a wealthy man and suitable bachelor.  With a chance that he has not been persuaded to relieve himself of his affections towards Anne. 

I have mixed feelings about this film. Of course I enjoyed the story but found the acting to be lackluster.  Anne Elliot is a huge push over thinking little about herself.  Amanda Root who plays Miss Elliot has the wide-eyed puppy dog face down pat and wanted to slap her every time it was made because it was so completely pathetic.  Because of this I had a hard time feeling for the character, although in the novel I don't feel this way at all, so I will point the finger at the acting.  Unlike other Austen heroines I had a hard time liking this Anne disconnecting me from the movie.  These said characters can really make or break it and this adaptation just didn't cut it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"It's important right now that we talk, killer to killer."

Unlike Addison DeWitt I would not like to talk killer to killer but rather as movie lover to movie lover. What do you think?

Movie Review: Begin Again (2013)

Begin Again was a cheesy imitation of Coyote Ugly which was an ugly picture to begin with.  The film stars Keira Knightley, Mark Ruffalo a...