Thursday, August 12, 2010

Jamaica Inn (1939)

Jamaica Inn is another Daphne Du Maurier novel that was directed by Hitchcock, this was also the first of said author's novels adapted to the big screen as Rebecca was produced in '40 rather than Jamaica's '39.  Anyway, like Rebecca this was a film I didn't know Hitch had directed.

Considering I have not read the book, I found the storyline very original and well acted too.  I loved Charles Laughton as Sir Humphrey Pengallan.  He was the perfect villain/double agent because I disliked him to no other but was still willing to give him a second chance (and don't ask me why).

My only complaint about this classic was the quality of the film, mostly with the sound.  The octave went up and down like a merry-go-round.  Although this could have something to do with the fact that it was on Instant Netflix.  Despite this small complaint, Jamaica Inn was a very enjoyable film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"It's important right now that we talk, killer to killer."

Unlike Addison DeWitt I would not like to talk killer to killer but rather as movie lover to movie lover. What do you think?

Movie Review: Begin Again (2013)

Begin Again was a cheesy imitation of Coyote Ugly which was an ugly picture to begin with.  The film stars Keira Knightley, Mark Ruffalo a...